UPS - Navigating cross border online
Learn how to download your customs shipping documents and dispute charges with UPS.
Shipping discrepancies can be a pain, but they are easier to deal with when you can locate your customs shipping documents online to nail down the issue.
UPS offers tools to download images of the commercial invoice, in-country clearance forms, etc. The forms available vary from shipment to shipment, but you'll almost always get a copy of the commercial invoice at a minimum. These forms are extremely valuable for researching duty and tax discrepancies.
Below are some instructions for acquiring these files:
- Log in to ups.com
- On the Quick Start menu, select View & Pay Bill.
- Select UPS Billing Center.
- Click Reporting -> Search.
- Select the Tracking Number Detail option.
- Click on the invoice number.
- Click Download Documents.
- Paste the tracking number in the Supporting Documents section in the search field.
- Click on the appropriate tracking number hyperlink, which will open the details of that import shipment.
- Select Brokerage Forms at the bottom of the screen.
- Share the file with the appropriate people.
If you’ve discovered that your clearance charges may be inaccurate, don’t panic. Mistakes do happen! This can be due to a number of reasons, such as an incomplete HS code classification, inaccurate foreign exchange rates, etc. Luckily, UPS has tools to dispute and appeal duty and tax charges online, without the hassle of waiting for a representative.
Instructions to dispute charges:
- Repeat steps 1-10 in the above list.
- Select Dispute at the bottom right of the screen to open a new window where you can enter the details of the dispute.
- Enter an appropriate description of the dispute and hit continue.
- On the following screen, enter the dollar amount of your dispute (the amount that you believe was in error).
- Hit continue and verify all the applicable pop-ups alerts to submit the dispute.
Be warned: The description only allows for 80 characters which aren't nearly enough.
Although UPS has a feature that enables you to dispute inaccurate charges online, Zonos’ Landed Cost Guarantee takes care of all these discrepancies for you, so you'll never have to worry about it. The amount charged at checkout is 100% guaranteed, if a mistake occurs, then we will take care of it and pay the difference (if needed) for any discrepancy that may happen.
Frequently asked questions about UPS billing:
How long do dispute refunds take?
Why would I need Landed Cost Guarantee of Zonos is so accurate?
Once the package is shipped off, there are a lot of uncontrollable variables:
- A customs agent may decide to reassign your package’s description or HS code because they don’t agree with what was originally there, which could change the total landed cost.
- Additional and unexpected fees or events could take place i.e. supply chain issues, storage, or government fees.
- Humans aren’t perfect, so it could be due to human error.
- Incomplete or incorrect HS codes could have been assigned to your products.