How Zonos handles Shopify discounts
Learn how Zonos quotes landed cost on discounted product prices in Shopify.
Shopify's API does not provide visibility into the discounts that are applied to an order at the time of checkout. As a result, we are only able to calculate landed cost on the original order amount, without discounts, by default. However, we have two workarounds to update the landed cost quote after discounts are applied. Which one you use will depend on your Shopify plan:
- Shopify Plus: This workaround will update the quote using the discounted price during checkout.
- Shopify or Shopify Advanced: This workaround will update the quote using the discounted price after order has been placed.
This feature is currently disabled by default. Soon, it will be enabled for everyone. To opt-in in the meantime, please contact Zonos Support.
Choose which Shopify plan you are on to learn how the corresponding workaround works.
This workaround will update the quote using the discounted price during checkout.
This option results in the best customer experience. Because the discount is taken into account during the checkout process:
- Your customer only pays duties and taxes on the discounted price.
- The product price in Dashboard is the discounted product price. This is true for every order that uses a discount (both DDP and DDU orders).
- The shipping documents, such as the commercial invoice, will use the discounted product prices. This is true for every order that uses a discount. Learn how to display discounts on commercial invoices.
- Discounts will be considered when returning shipping service levels based on cart value.
- For example, consider when free shipping is offered on orders over 150 USD. Let's say a product price is 160 USD without a discount, and 130 USD after a discount is applied. If you have opted into this feature, the shipping will re-quote with the discounted product price (130 USD) and will not offer free shipping to your customer, as they have not met your threshold.
- You must be on Shopify Plus, have access to your
checkout.liquidfile, and be on GraphQL (an internal Zonos system). It will soon be available through Shopify's checkout extensibility, which is replacing their
- It is possible for your customer to move too quickly through the checkout, not allowing time for the quote to update after the discount was applied. It may take up to 2 seconds to trigger a requote after a discount has been added in the checkout.
Choose which Shopify plan you are on to understand how the discount workaround will affect what you see in Shopify.
Shopify will display everything correctly and in the format you are accustomed to. The order in Shopify will show the order total and the discount applied. The shipping, duties, taxes, and fees will all be on the discounted price.
Choose which Shopify plan you are on to understand how the discount workaround will affect what you see in Dashboard.
When any Shopify order with a discount syncs into our system, it will display the post-discount landed cost amount. This means orders you view in Dashboard will appear the same as they will in Shopify with the workaround refund applied. Your commercial invoice, order receipt, packing slip, and other related customs documents will display the correct landed cost with discounts taken into account as a result of this.
Choose which Shopify plan you are on to understand how the discount workaround will affect your customer's experience.
Since we are requoting during the checkout, your customers will notice a new quote generating after a discount is applied. They can expect the following:
- They add items to their cart and proceed to the checkout, where they enter their address information and click to get their shipping options.
- The shipping options quote based on the original product price.
- They add a discount.
- Within a couple seconds, the shipping options refresh at a lower price (using the discounted product prices).
- Your customer chooses a shipping option and completes their order.